Sunday, March 23, 2008

With or Without Flash...




I started this love affair with the simple egg form SO long ago. I was thirteen when I began practicing Pysanky. This old Ukranian craft where dye and wax are used together on eggs (typically left full and intact to dry out over time) to create the distinct line and graphic quality that is commonly called batik. Through these exercises I learned so much about myself. Practice is a necessary evil, perseverance has its rewards, patience is imperative.

It was through this craft that I saw how therapeutic total focus on a creative activity was for me, it has enriched my life in countless ways. It was the geometry involved, the division of space, the treatment of each individual egg and it's proportion, the tools, hot wax and ever present candle that needed to burn that remain fixed in my mind and are fondly remembered. Happy Easter, may each of your eggs open to offer untold surprises!

No comments: