Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chasing Spring.







The yellow green of early spring has been my companion from Washington D.C. to Toronto, how lovely to live it over and over again, to rest at home with some daffodils still in bloom.

It is time for the Brimfield Antique Show, thrice yearly for a full 5 day period. I am hoping to be able to make it there, for the visual stimulation. Clearly, as I try to weed out the excess of stuff accrued I don't need to bring anything home.

My life is a whirlwind, with no hope of rest as I prepare to set my sites on Bead and Button. I am slated to teach 2 separate days of Foldforming and a day of an introduction to Borosilicate glass. Nothing is full, sadly, and I would love to entice some more takers. I promise fun filled days and will be sharing knowledge learned from the 'school of hard knocks' so that you don't have to learn it this way!

As I reflect upon my last ten days spent in Canada I want to 'shout out' just how awesome my neighbors to the North are. Smart, civilized, unpretentious, supportive. The first part of the trip was spent in Toronto teaching for the Bead Society in a facility where the twice yearly Bead Show is held. Spacious, sunny and welcoming, the students open, willing and generous. Maureen Warland was my hostess with the most. Organized, upbeat and prepared she filled the classes to the brim and foresaw what was needed long before it was. We then moved onto Bead FX, where Marg was ultra generous with her store and tools and unfortunately I only saw her briefly. We'll have to ammend that.

After my time in Toronto I moved on down to Beads of Colour in Dundas and was in the kind and thoughtful care of David and Debi Nicholson. They took me to Niagra Falls, I had never experienced the awe and power of the falls, fortunately the sun came out to show us a rainbow, so beautiful. Between a day of teaching on Lake Erie in their cottage where David kept us extremely well fed and watered and the second day moving up to Dundas we created BronzeClay slides, colored metals and even snuck in a felting demo. We were all rewarded at the end of day two with an incredible surprise dessert, home made apple dumplings~ they were incredible, as are the Nicholsons'.

A huge, heartflet thank you to all involved!

Things here at home are coming along, Michael is slowly healing. Today we will go to watch Lily in a Lacrosse game. It is hard to measure from day to day the progress. It is only when you look back over the last month that one can see where we have come from. The incredible stories that people have shared with me over this past month are inspirational and offer hope for an eventual full recovery. Time, time, time.

No comments: