Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Gunnera plant has captured my heart...



While at the deYoung museum in Golden Gate Park I cruised around the grounds and there were these prehistoric looking bush like plants with little spikes, bright chartreuse at that, all up and down the stalks. The leaves were elephant ear sized and very leathery with deep crevices and felt kind of like a cats tongue. Deep inside, in the shade of the huge leaves, flowers grew. They were totally enchanting, I need to find if I can grow them here in zone 5. Ah, darn....zone 7+.

The looming reality of Bead and Button is starting to hit me and I see that I've got to get back to the studio. This week has been time spent in recovery, a shiatsu treatment today along with the necessary P.O. run, (all orders are in the mail) and general setting up of circumstances to pave the way to productivity. Tomorrow I need to go to Manhattan and THEN I will be able to really dig in and make objects, kits and who knows what?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail!
I don't know if it's the same variety or not but I have Gunnera Manicata in my zone 5 garden here in Iowa that I've had for years. I have it in a protected spot against a fence and I cover it with a thick layer of mulch in the fall. It doesn't get as monsterishly huge as I've seen on the west coast but it's still big! They are so cool aren't they? I always imagine dinosaurs munching on them.
I'm looking forward to seeing you in Milwaukee.